Why won't my mosquito bite heal?

I've had an itchy, bright red mosquito bite on my calf for like 2 weeks now. Should I be worried that it hasn't healed yet? Is it infected? How would I know?
Mosquito bites can be really annoying for multiple reasons. First, a mosquito bite can cause irritation of the skin because of an interaction between our bodies and the mosquito body fluids. This causes a red (sometimes swollen) bump that can be very itchy. These bites have very variable healing times. For some people, a minor bite can heal in one day. For others, the bump can last for more than a week. Your bite that has been there for two weeks is right at the time point where I would begin to worry that there may be an infection in the area. An infection in there area can occur when we scratch the bite profusely breaking the skin and allowing for bacteria to enter the soft tissues. This may be what has happened to you. While mosquitoes can carry illnesses with them that you could catch from a bite, they are not usually a bright red itch bump. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a close look at your bite and determine if it is infected. If it is, then your doctor will give you some antibiotic ointment and possibly an oral antibiotic to clear up the infection.