ZocdocAnswersWhy are the muscles in my face so tight?

Question

Why are the muscles in my face so tight?

23 year old girl and the muscles in my cheek bones around to my ears feel very tight the last week or so. Is this a sinus infection or could something be wrong with my face?

Answer

A sinus infection or sinus congestion can cause a sensation of tightness in the cheekbones. Typically, a sinus problem will start with general cold symptoms, such as cough, runny nose, and congestion. Then, over a few days to weeks, the congestion will worse. You may begin to have headaches and a 'full' sensation in the front of the head or a swishing sensation when you bend over. Pain or tenderness when you press over the cheekbones is common. You may also have thick green or yellow mucus that comes out of the nose when you blow it. You may also have ear involvement (you mention that the tightness goes over all the way to your ears), since sinus congestion is often coupled with fluid congestion in the ears. If you have some or all of these symptoms, then a sinus problem is likely, and you should go to see your primary care doctor to see if antibiotics, or other medications, are indicated. Your doctor will be able to perform an examination and will be able to rule out other potential cause of pain in this area, such as infections of the teeth, and will be able to help you figure out what to do next to relieve your discomfort.