ZocdocAnswersWhy do my eyelids feel heavy and swollen?

Question

Why do my eyelids feel heavy and swollen?

My eyelids have been feelling sort of big lately. Like they are heavy, swollen. Is this from some allergy or do I have an eye problem, like an infection?

Answer

I think allergy is a very likely possibility, especially if you already have a personal history of seasonal allergies or other types of allergies affecting the nose or eyes. When a person experiences an eye allergy flare, the eyelids often due become swollen and congested. Other symptoms that might go along with this would be itching or redness of the eyes. If you are experiencing these symptoms, get in to see your doctor to see if medications are needed. Another possibility would be an inflammation of the eyelid itself, called blepharitis. If you have crusting or redness at the edge of the eyelid where the eyelashes attach this is a possibility. Blepharitis often responds well to warm compresses and cleaning the edges of the eyelids well. Finally rarely swelling around the eyes can be a sign of a more serious medical problem, such as a problem with the kidneys or heart that is leading to an accumulation of fluid in the body. If you have any other signs of fluid accumulation, such as a recent increase in weight or swelling of the ankles, this is more likely. I suggest that you go see your primary care doctor if symptoms persist in order to figure this out.