ZocdocAnswersCan menorrhagia(heavy periods) result in chronic pelvic pain?

Question

Can menorrhagia(heavy periods) result in chronic pelvic pain?

I have had had heavy periods, also known as menorrhagia. Can chronic pelvic pain be a result of menorrhagia?

Answer

Pelvic pain is not typically thought of as being "chronic" unless it has been present for more than 3 months. It is a relatively common complaint amongst women as it is the chief complaint resulting in a trip to the gynecologist about 10% of the time. The differential diagnosis for what can potentially cause pelvic pain is extensive. For example, dysmenorrhea (pain with menstruation), endometriosis, ovarian cysts, ovarian torsion, pelvic inflammatory disease, bowel pain, bladder pain, and even appendicitis can all be causes of pelvic pain. However, many of these aren't related at all to menstruation, and thus wouldn't be related to menorrhagia. If you are suffering from chronic pelvic pain, I would recommend making an appointment with your OB/GYN to be evaluated, and so they can take a thorough history. There are potentially problems that can be related with menstruation, and also cause pelvic pain. Endometriosis is one example. I hope that this was helpful, and I wish you all the best.