ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have severe abdominal pains every morning?

Question

Why do I have severe abdominal pains every morning?

i wake up every morning and after a couple minutes i start to have severe abdominal pains. i will take a bowel movement and sometimes it will make it go away but other times it will have to just go away on its own. after about ten minutes it goes away. This has ben going on for a few years. I dont take any medication and even if i eat late or dont eat late it still happens.

Answer

I suggest that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue. An abdominal pains that go on unresolved for so long should be investigated to make sure there is not something serious or treatable going on. When you go to see your doctor, you should especially mention any symptoms like weight loss, blood in your bowel movement, joint aches and pains, or rashes. If you have any of these, these might be clues to what is going on. A common problem that can present with abdominal pains in the morning are inflammation or ulcers in the stomach. Often there is also nausea, and the pain is usually located more in the upper abdomen. This doesn't entirely fit with the fact that you sometimes have relief with bowel movements, but it is such a common condition that it is worth investigating. Irritable bowel syndrome is another possibility, which often causes intermittent abdominal pain and cramping, and is often relieved by bowel movements. It would also be important to rule out celiac disease, which is an intolerance to gluten, and inflammatory bowel disease. Your doctor may order some simple blood tests to help eliminate some of these possibilities.