Can you develop scoliosis at any age?

I remember being tested for it as a kid, at school. But can you get scoliosis as an adult? I'm 35 and having bad back problems.
Scoliosis is a medical condition that has an abnormal curvature of the spine that is from side to side and may develop as a single curve in the shape of the letter C or as two curves shaped like the letter S. While scoliosis, in general, is usually detected during the adolescent growth spurt (between the ages of 10 and 14 in girls and 12 and14 in boys), the majority of people with scoliosis have what is known as "idiopathic" scoliosis ("no known cause") that is sub-classified as infantile, juvenile, adolescent, or adult, according to when onset occurred. In other words, scoliosis may occur at any age. Do you have signs and symptoms indicating that you have developed scoliosis? They may include one shoulder blade more prominent than the other, one side of the rib higher than the other, the body that tilts to one side, and uneven shoulders, waist, hip and legs. Pain is not a typical symptom of scoliosis. Back pain in a patient with scoliosis may indicate another problem that should be evaluated thoroughly. If you do have symptoms of scoliosis, I would recommend a visit to a primary care physician or spine specialist who will examine your spine and may order an X-ray to confirm the diagnosis as well as to determine the exact cause of your back pain.

• Dr. Robert Baratz
    Dr. Robert Baratz MD, DDS
    759 Granite St.
    Braintree, MA 02184
  • Dr. Ramin Samadi
    Dr. Ramin Samadi MD
    5900 Overton Ridge Blvd
    Fort Worth, TX 76132
  • Dr. Gladys Martinez
    Dr. Gladys Martinez DO
    1001 NW 13th Street
    Boca Raton, FL 33486