search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Do pimples occur everywhere on the body?"

ZocdocAnswersDo pimples occur everywhere on the body?

Question

I have a strange red bump on my ear, right above the lobe in the folds of my ear. Is it a pimple? Can you get pimples there or is it something more serious? I've had it for more than a month.

Answer

Without the ability to examine your "strange red bump" and a thorough medical history, it is difficult for me to determine whether or not it is a pimple. Is your bump tender and movable? Has it grown in size? In general, it is possible to have a pimple in the ear lobe, although it is uncommon. Or, your bump may be a sebaceous cyst, which is benign. It is usually slow-growing, painless, and freely moveable beneath the skin. Occasionally, however, a cyst becomes inflamed and tender. Another possibility is a harmless growth caused by a skin virus known as molluscum contagiosum. It resembles a pimple at first and may grow into raised nodules on the skin that can appear pearl-like or flesh-colored. It is usually not painful but may be itchy. It is harmless and never turns cancerous but is contagious. It spreads through skin-to-skin contact. Treatment is often unnecessary depending on the location and the number of lesions because the virus eventually goes away on its own, but it may take a long time. If untreated, the outbreaks may last up to 6 months or more. Having said all of this, any suspicious lump or growth on your skin should be looked at by a dermatologist to be on the safe side so I suggest that you schedule a doctor visit.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.