ZocdocAnswersCan a new pair of glasses cause headaches?

Question

Can a new pair of glasses cause headaches?

Just got new glasses, first ones in about 5 years. Now I have terrible headaches. Is it from the new glasses? Did they get my prescription wrong?

Answer

Headaches can be caused by many different things, including changes in vision. Headaches can also be caused by changes within the brain (including a long list of worrisome possibilities such as bleeding, infection, or a tumor); changes within blood vessels such as those thought to cause migraine headaches; or muscle spasms (including tension headaches, probably the most common cause of headache). Overall, the list of things which can cause headaches is rather extensive and includes things which are very common and not concerning as well as causes which are rare but can be life-threatening. In the situation you describe, it sounds as though your headaches are very much connected to the new glasses--a prescription which is not right for your eyes may well cause a headache. However, it is always important to have new symptoms evaluated by your physician to make sure that there are not other findings in your history or exam that would suggest a more concerning cause requiring further evaluation. You should be seen by your PCP right away to evaluate your headaches, and he or she can decide whether any further testing or referrals to a neurologist are required. Hopefully all you will need to do is change your glasses...but it's always best to make sure.