Do I have a scratch on my eye/retina?

Took a hard fall on the beach and landed on my face. It's been a couple days and my right eye and vision still feel a little blurry. How would I know if I scratched my eye or my retina? Would this heal okay on its on?
It sounds like you had a most unfortunate accident. Changes with your vision can be very unnerving, particularly when they don't resolve right away. As with any change in vision, particularly those associated with trauma or that don't resolve right away, the best thing to do is to be evaluated by a physician who can do any eye exam. If you already have an ophthalmologist for prior eye issues, you can make an appointment with him or her. Otherwise, the best thing to do is to go to the emergency department where a more thorough eye exam can be done. A scratch on the cornea can be caused by trauma such as the fall you describe, and this is typically associated with pain or swelling around the eye, blurry vision, or the sense of something being 'stuck' in the eye. Minor corneal abrasions will heal on their own, but they do place you at increased risk for infection which is why it is important to be evaluated so you can be prescribed antibiotic eye drops if needed. In addition, it is also possible that there was damage done to another part of the eye. Although a fall would not be likely to damage the retina, a physician who can do an eye exam will be able to assess the retina and the blood vessels at the back of the eye to determine if any further treatment or testing is needed.

Other Ophthalmologists