What should I do if I'm taking allergy medication but it isn't working?

I'm taking an over the counter antihistamine at the advice of my doctor, but it isn't helping. What are my options if allergy medication isn't working to control my sneezing and itchy eyes?
The answer to your question depends somewhat on what is causing your allergies. If your allergies are caused by an environmental factor such as pollen, there are many more options you have to help your symptoms. The best thing you can do is determine what your allergy is and avoid it if possible. If this isn't possible, then you can begin looking at other treatments. If your nose is one of your problems, then you may benefit from a steroid nasal spray that you take daily. These nasal sprays act to calm down the inflammation in your nose and prevent the symptoms from occurring when you're exposed to the allergen. It is also possible that you will respond to a different antihistamine. Perhaps your doctor can examine which one you used and prescribe a different one. If neither of these two options work, then you can look into other possible treatments. Since you have failed first line treatment for an allergy, you should probably be seen by a specialist. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with an allergist. The allergist will be able to perform a more detailed analysis of your allergies and tailor the treatment to your specific situation. Good luck.

Nearby Allergists

Other Allergists