ZocdocAnswersWhat is a scrotal cyst?

Question

What is a scrotal cyst?

Is this like testicular cancer? Doc said I might have one. Should I be nervous after we take care of it and make it go away?

Answer

A cyst is a fluid filled sac. In and of itself, it is not a cancer. There are cancers which have cystic components, but simple cysts like the one that your doctor is telling you that you have are not cancers nor do they have any possibility of becoming a cancer in the future. Cancers of the testicles and scrotum tend to be solid tumors that lack even cystic components, so the fact that your doctor is telling you that you have a fluid-filled collection in your scrotum is actually a good sign that you do not have cancer. Typically cysts can be left alone and observed in the vast majority of cases if they are not causing the patient any discomfort. However, if it is bothering you or enlarging, your doctor may recommend having it removed simply for the sake of convenience. This is a very simple procedure with the vast majority of patients going home the same day. Recover time is typically minimal for these types of procedures. You should make sure to follow up with your doctor after the procedure to ensure that it is healing well, with no evidence of recurrence or pain or infection.