ZocdocAnswersHow can I get rid of my razor burn?

Question

How can I get rid of my razor burn?

I shave my legs almost every day and have started to develop some razor burn. Is there an easy way to treat this or do I have to go see a dermatologist?

Answer

Razor burn occurs when hair that is pushed back into the follicle becomes inflamed and then develop into an ingrown hair. The best way to rid of your ingrown hair is simply carefully lift the ingrown end out with tweezers. You should resist the urge to pull the hair out or you risk having your ingrown hair regrow deeper. Another good approach is to take a hot bath and then apply vaseline to the area that is affected. An aloe vera-based cortisone cream or another hydrating application can also be used to soothe your skin and reduce its redness. Since you shave on a daily basis, it is a good idea to prevent razor burn from developing. In doing so, you should consider shaving after a shower or bath when your skin is still lubricated and less likely to cause irritation. You should also shave with a moisturizer or sorbolene cream in the same direction of a hair (i.e., shaving downward). If your skin is especially sensitive, applying an ointment or cream such as polysporin after shaving may reduce the appearance of razor burn. If you don't find these treatments helpful because your razor burn is severe, I suggest seeking help from your doctor. These razor bumps are not only unsightly but they can also become infected and cause you skin problems that requires prompt medical attention. It is a good idea to have a dermatologist check them out to ensure that there is no infection.