ZocdocAnswersIs the bump on the roof of my mouth a sign that I have cancer?

Question

Is the bump on the roof of my mouth a sign that I have cancer?

Strange bump on the roof of my mouth, right in the center. Been there for about a month. Is it a tumor? Cancer?

Answer

Small bumps that form within the mouth should always be evaluated by a physician. There is always a chance (in this case an extremely small chance) that a bump in the mouth could be a tumor or cancer. However, mouth cancer is really not that common and bumps in the mouth caused by other things are very common. For example if you developed a small sore or infection in the mouth, this can cause a small bump to develop in the area. This could hang around for a while and be quite annoying. Other times bumps can form for reasons that no one ever knows. Since we can't say for sure what it is, you should get it checked out sooner than later. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine the bump and determine if it looks worrisome or not. If it is, or if you have certain risk factors for cancer such as smoking, you doctor may decide to take a small sample of the bump for analysis under a microscope. This test will tell for sure if it is anything to worry about. If the bump is not worrisome, your doctor will likely ask you to just leave it alone.