ZocdocAnswersIs there any way to prevent plantar warts?

Question

Is there any way to prevent plantar warts?

I've had them on the bottom of my feet and my toes. Heard that a lowered immune system can lead to plantar warts. Any way to prevent the warts or strengthen my immune system? There starting to become annoying!

Answer

Plantar warts are fairly common misery that are caused by coming into direct contact with the human papilloma virus (HPV), such as swimming in public pools or walking barefoot in a locker room. Warts on your feet and toes are caused by an infection of the outer skin layer (epidermis) by HPV. Once the wart starts growing, it embeds itself in this tissue and therefore can be very difficult to get rid of. They are slightly contagious from person to person or from one area to another on the same person. There is no single perfect treatment for plantar warts. However, a good treatment may include salicyclic acid that is used to burn the warts. Since the skin on and surround the wart is thick, most over-the-counter medications do not always work effective as they do not penetrate the skin well. Warts that are left untreated may take up to several years to clear up. Some plantar warts are stubborn and do not take well to treatment. If this is your case, a podiatrist will remove them for you. The treatment of your warts depends on their location and size, your skin type, and medical judgment. I suggest that you seek medical attention and advice from a primary care physician or podiatrist for an appropriate treatment.