ZocdocAnswersIs a broken blood vessel the same as a bruise?

Question

Is a broken blood vessel the same as a bruise?

Are bruises just broken blood vessels? I broke a blood vessel in my eye and now it is completely red. I was told by a friend that its just like a bruise and nothing to worry about. Should I see an eye doctor?

Answer

A broken blood vessel in the eye can look very alarming, but will not cause any damage to your eyesight. What happens is that the conjunctiva contains many small, fragile blood vessels that are easily broken, and the blood is leaked into the space between conjunctiva and sclera. Since conjunctiva does not cover the iris of the eye, it is not possible for the leaked blood to cause damage to your vision. Whereas a bruise typically appears black or blue underneath the skin, the subconjunctival hemorrhage, as much like a bruise, will gradually change color from bright red to yellow or green and then vanishes within the next few days or weeks. What has caused your eye to have these ruptured blood vessels? If your blood vessels have become ruptured for no apparent reason whatsoever, there are other medical conditions that may contribute to rupturing your blood vessels. They are high blood pressure, stress, severe hypertension, LASIK, leptospirosis, and blood dyscracia (rare), etc. Or, has it been caused by trauma to the eye, such as a punch or a squash ball, etc.? I would recommend that you seek help from a primary care doctor to be evaluated in case there is other damage has also been caused as well as to rule out any serious medical condition.