ZocdocAnswersIs there a way to prevent alopecia?

Question

Is there a way to prevent alopecia?

My grandmother had alopecia and was almost completely without hair when she died. I'm nervous that it runs in the family. I'm only 22 but don't want to lose my hair. Is there a way to prevent this from happening to me?

Answer

If hair loss runs in your family genetically, then there are not too many things that you can do to prevent some hair loss. Genetic hair loss is 'programmed in' to your body, and if it is going to happen, it can't be stopped! However, what you can do is try to minimize other causes of hair loss. For example, hair loss is probably slightly worsened by a poor diet and stress. Making sure to control the stress in your life and eat nutritious, well balanced meals may help. Additionally, taking care of your over all health through regular check ups with your primary care doctor is advised. If you notice that you are starting to have hair thinning or even outright hair loss, then you will want to see your primary care doctor or a dermatologist. There are some medications that can be used to slow hair loss once it starts or even, to some degree, help to grow hair back. For some, hair loss is such a major cosmetic issue that if the loss cannot be reversed with these medications, they may decide to seek help from a plastic or cosmetic surgeon who specializes in hair transplants.