search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Could a vitamin E deficiency be causing my allergies?"

ZocdocAnswersCould a vitamin E deficiency be causing my allergies?

Question

My mom says that if I take Vitamin E pills my allergies will go away. I have seasonal allergies every summer and I want them to go away. Will this really work? Could I have a vitamin E deficiency?

Answer

There is no definitive evidence that vitamin E is related to allergies. I do not believe that there is any reason to suspect that you have a vitamin E deficiency (unless you have specific medical problems), and even if you did, there is no reason to suspect that vitamin E pills would help. There are also side effects of taking excess vitamin E. I would not recommend taking these pills. I would however recommend discussing this with your primary care doctor. He or she could better evaluate your condition, and potentially provide you with more established treatments for seasonal allergies. Vitamin E is a fat soluble vitamin that naturally occurs in most diets. Unless you have specifically unusual diet or have problems with absorbing fatty foods -- you should not be deficient in this. Rarely, people with severe pancreatic problems cannot absorb fat well enough -- therefore become deficient in vitamin E. However, if you are not have a history of these condition -- it would be highly unlikely you are deficient in it. There is no data that vitamin E help with allergies. Allergies occur when the immune system recognizes a substance as foreign and release histamine through a specific pathway. Vitamin E deficiency causes muscle problems, nerve problems and occasional a weakened immune system. Talk to your doctor. There are good treatments for allergies, but vitamin E is not a known one.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.