How do you know if you have fluid in your ear?

Sometimes it feels like something is moving in my heard between my ears, almost like there is water in there. Nothing comes out of my ears and they don't or anything. Do I have fluid in my ears? Is this something I need to take care of?
That swishing fluid like feeling you are feeling with moving your head could definitely be fluid in your ear. People who have this condition often describe symptoms just like the ones you have. The ear is divided into an out ear canal and the inner middle ear by the ear drum. The fluid that you are experience collects behind the ear drum, which is why nothing comes out of your ear canal when you move your head. Commonly, this fluid collects behind the ear drum because of something called eustachian tube dysfunction. The eustachian tubes run from the middle ear to the throat and they are supposed to drain any fluid that collects in the ear. However, sometimes they get swollen shut, usually because of a cold or throat infection. Most of the time, the fluid will eventually drain as the swelling goes down, although this can sometimes take weeks. There is no real effective treatment for making the drainage occur quicker. However, if you are having significant impairment of your hearing or a lot of pain or discomfort, then you may want to talk to a doctors">doctor about it; in particular, ENT doctors often deal with the more complicated cases of eustachian tube dysfunction.

• Dr. Steven A. Burres
    Dr. Steven A. Burres MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    465 North Roxbury Drive
    Beverly Hills, CA 90210
  • Dr. William Cohen
    Dr. William Cohen DO
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    2501 E Chapman Ave
    Orange, CA 92869
  • Dr. Jonathan Berman
    Dr. Jonathan Berman MD, FACS
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    670 Glades Road
    Boca Raton, FL 33431