Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why do I get red spots inside of my legs right above my ankles?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy do I get red spots inside of my legs right above my ankles?


the spot are round and painfull to the touch and are as big as a golf ball


Any issue with your skin such as this one should be evaluated by a doctor. This is because no one can tell for sure what it is without an actual examination. With your simple description, these spots could be just about anything. One possibility that comes to mind is an entity known as erythema nodosum. This is a Latin term used to describe a red, painful, nodule that can be as big as a golf ball. They look like an area of infection but without any infective agent such as bacteria. They are seen in a variety of different diseases the most common of which is inflammatory bowel disease. If you are also experiencing diarrhea or abdominal pain, then this is a possibility. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can ask you a series of pertinent questions surrounding these red spots and examine them closely. If there is any question of there origin, you doctor may draw some routine blood tests or perhaps even send you for a biopsy of the lesion. If the spots are a simple skin problem, you may be able to get medication such as a cream that can help. Good luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.