Why do I get red spots inside of my legs right above my ankles?

the spot are round and painfull to the touch and are as big as a golf ball
Any issue with your skin such as this one should be evaluated by a doctor. This is because no one can tell for sure what it is without an actual examination. With your simple description, these spots could be just about anything. One possibility that comes to mind is an entity known as erythema nodosum. This is a Latin term used to describe a red, painful, nodule that can be as big as a golf ball. They look like an area of infection but without any infective agent such as bacteria. They are seen in a variety of different diseases the most common of which is inflammatory bowel disease. If you are also experiencing diarrhea or abdominal pain, then this is a possibility. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can ask you a series of pertinent questions surrounding these red spots and examine them closely. If there is any question of there origin, you doctor may draw some routine blood tests or perhaps even send you for a biopsy of the lesion. If the spots are a simple skin problem, you may be able to get medication such as a cream that can help. Good luck.

• Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa
    Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Brian Price
    Dr. Brian Price MD
    3607 Manor Rd
    Austin, TX 78723