ZocdocAnswersWhy are my feet always swollen and painful?

Question

Why are my feet always swollen and painful?

My arms, feet, toes all get numb. This is daily. My feet get swollen all the time and they feel like I've been rock climbing...

Answer

It sounds like you are describing two different symptoms. It is not clear to me if they are related. Starting with your limbs getting numb, I would first want to know when this occurs. For example, if your limbs get numb only when its old out, then you may have poor circulation. If the problem is limited to your toes and fingers, then you could have sometime called Raynaud's phenomenon. This is a syndrome where the blood vessels in the fingers contract in response to the cold reducing blood flow. This can cause numbness or even pain. Your feet getting swollen all the time may be unrelated. Swelling feet is most commonly caused by a problem called venous insufficiency. This is where your veins in your legs don't transport blood back to the heart as efficiently as they are supposed to. This causes blood to pool in the legs especially when you stand for a prolonged period of time. This can result in swelling. Other problems such as blood clots and heart failure can cause this as well, but also cause other symptoms that you don't seem to be having. The best physician for you to consult with about this is your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss your symptoms, and your doctor can examine your feet and perform a thorough neurological exam to evaluate your numbness. Hopefully, you will get to the bottom of this soon.