ZocdocAnswersWhat is the easiest way to clear up sinus congestion?

Question

What is the easiest way to clear up sinus congestion?

I think its just my allergies, but my nose has been super congested over the last week or so. Took a decongestant and nothing. What's an easy why to clear up my sinuses?

Answer

Sinus congestion and sinus pressure can have many reasons. The most common reasons for an acute episode include colds, flu, allergies, and a sinus infection. The winter time is often the worst season for folks with sinus problems as you tend to stay in-door more, exposing to dusts, mites, and fungus. The symptoms are extremely uncomfortable and irritating and can last days to weeks depending on the cause. Why you feel all stuffed up is because the mucous lining your nasal passages becomes irritated, inflamed and swollen. They also secrete a lot of mucous in this process leading to an annoying running nose. The worse thing to do is staying in heated in-doors where the dry air will cause more irritation of your mucous lining. A few home remedies you can try include moistening your bedroom air with a humidifier. Vaporizer is also very effective. Keeping yourself well hydrated and using a nasal saline spray can also help to prevent your nasal passages from drying out. You can also try a time-honored nasal irrigation to flush out your nasal passages with salt water. You can either use a syringe or a neti pot-made specifically for this purpose. This helps to flush out allergens such as dusts and pollens, etc. You should also see a primary care physician who can further assess and guide your treatment.