Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

Why would my ears feel itchy on the inside?

Hard to explain. But my ears feel like they itch on the inside. Like I feel like I wish I could put a stick in there or something. Is this an ear infection? They don't hurt though. Why is this happening!
Ear itching is a tickling, irritating sensation that can have a variety of causes, most of which are not serious, although there are few things in life that are more annoying than an itchy ear. How long have your ears been itching? Do you have other symptoms that might occur with ear itching? Needless to say, it is important to know what is causing the itching. The most common and obvious cause of itchy ear canals is problems with wax. Both too much wax and not enough wax in the ear can cause the problem. You may experience ear fullness as well as irritation from having too much wax in the affected ear. On the other hand, not producing enough ear wax can cause your ear canals dry and irritated. Itching that is sudden, severe, or unusual should be evaluated for a serious food allergy that can come on rapidly, with a strong need to scratch. Sudden itching can also be a sign of anaphylaxis (a severe life-threatening allergic reaction to a food, chemical or insect sting) that is considered a medical emergency. Itching can also be a symptom of ear infection, such as swimmer's ear, which can occur in people who frequently expose their ears to water (i.e, moisture remains in the ear after swimming) to allow fungus growth. Your skin conditions (i.e., eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, and psoriasis etc.) can cause significant scaling that can affect your ear canals. Occasionally, sensitivity to certain shampoo can contribute to itching and irritation of the ear canals. I would recommend that you see a primary care doctor or ENT to be evaluated for an exact cause why your ears itch.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!