Will my shoulder ever go back to normal after it has been dislocated?

Popped my shoulder out of socket during a soccer game with some friends, who also helped me pop it back into socket. Saw the doctor and everything seems okay. But if this has happened once, does that mean it will continue to happen in the future? Does one dislocation lead to more?
I am glad that you seemingly have not had a permanent serious injury, but you should definitely follow up with your doctor about this. There is a risk of recurrent shoulder dislocation after having one shoulder dislocation, but the risk depends a lot on what the initial injury was like. For example, if the dislocation occurred after only a minor blow, then this means that you have latent shoulder instability and you will be at risk for future dislocations. On the other hand, if the dislocation occurred after a major blow, you might not have elevated risk. Similarly, anterior shoulder dislocations are more likely to lead to permanent shoulder instability than posterior shoulder dislocations. Also if you have a family or personal history of certain connective tissue conditions such as Marfan's syndrome or Ehler-Danlos syndrome, these will also raise your risk of having recurrent should dislocations. I would suggest that you talk with your primary care doctor or a sports medicine specialist about the injury you had. Together, you will be able to determine what your future risk might be. This is important to determine, because it may affect the kinds of sports that you can participate in safely.

Other Sports Medicine Specialists