ZocdocAnswersWhat is causing the pain in my foot?

Question

What is causing the pain in my foot?

There is a sharp pain in the arch of my right foot. What might be causing this? I run a lot (like everyday) and think it might be from that, but I don't know.

Answer

I would suggest that you go to see your primary care doctor about this. This is because, in runners, a common source of pain in the arch of the foot is a stress fracture. This can be diagnosed with a simple x-ray, but it is important to know about because the treatment requires complete rest until the fracture heals up. Once a stress fracture is ruled out, there are still a few possibilities. I think the most likely, based on where you are describing the pain, is something called plantar fasciitis. This is essentially an over use injury involving the connective tissue that sits in the arch of the foot in front of the heel bone. It can usually be improved with stretching exercises, anti inflammatory medications, and making sure to wear a pair of athletic shoes with higher arch support and correction for over pronation. However, sometimes severe plantar fasciitis also requires complete rest from running in order to get better. In addition to your primary care doctor, I recommend that you see an athletic shoe specialist. They will be able to make sure that the shoes you are using correct for any stride irregularities you have that might be contributing to foot injury.