Should I be worried if my period lasts longer than it usually does?

I'm a 23 year old female and my last two periods have been a few days longer than they have normally been. Is there a reason for this? For the last year menstrual pain has also been getting a lot worse.
Generally, at the beginning of menstruation, it is quite normal for young women to have irregular cycles with differing times between periods. Every woman is different. Periods usually last anywhere from eight to ten days and this is generally normal for most women. Some women have periods for as short as 3 days and sometimes longer than 7 days. A period that last longer than that is abnormal and is concerning. While long periods are not normal, it is also important to consider the amount of flow. Is it typically heavy bleeding or just light flow? It is important to note the quantity of bleeding especially with longer cycles mainly because a woman can get anemic from excess bleeding. You should make an appointment to discuss your concerns with your women's health physician or your gynecologist. A change from your normal is also concerning, and maybe due to an imbalance in your hormones. Women normally will experience menstrual cramps that can be controlled with over the counter medications like Motrin, but worsening pain requires that you address your concerns with a doctor. Your doctor will be able to take a detailed past medical and gynecologic history, and perform a physical exam, order some lab tests and provide treatment based on your clinical situation.

Nearby OB-GYNs