ZocdocAnswersIs it bad for your body to quit smoking cold turkey?

Question

Is it bad for your body to quit smoking cold turkey?

Thinking about quitting smoking, and I want to do it cold turkey, where I just stop the next day or whatever. Is this bad for your body? Should you actually ween yourself off instead of stopping all of the sudden?

Answer

As you already know, quitting smoking is one of the hardest things to do. According to some authorities, it is even more difficult to quit smoking than to quit cocaine. This goes to show how addictive nicotine can actually be to your body. There are different ways to quit smoking depending on your personal motivation, conviction, and preparation. Many people go through relapses after they have successfully quit for days, weeks, or even months. It is important to realize what has motivated you to smoke in the first place and what triggers you to pick up a cigarette each time. They become the reasons or factors that you need to addressed in order to be successful. Quitting cold turkey actually works just fine for a lot of people. That said, be prepare mentally that you will no longer picking up a cigarette but do something that is healthier instead (i.e. go for a jog or eat a snack). You may feel a little jittery or anxious. Some people may feel nothing differently. The key is to find things to do to keep yourself busy that are outlets to relieve your stress so that you are not pulled back to picking another cigarette. I would encourage you to let your friends and family know so they can provide you support. As well you should throw away all the things you used to smoke. If you experience a lapse do not get discourage. It is a process, not a one time opportunity. Good luck.