ZocdocAnswersIs the pain in my testicles due to being abstinent?

Question

Is the pain in my testicles due to being abstinent?

I have chosen to be abstinent. I'm a healthy 21 year old male and have also decided not to masturbate. Since I started this, I've had some pain in my testicles. Could it be due to not ejaculating? Is it safe not to ejaculate?

Answer

It can be very common to experience some discomfort or soreness in the testicles when choosing not to ejaculate. This is not physically dangerous, and you are in no danger from choosing not to masturbate or have sex. The discomfort does tend to subside over time. There are a few serious conditions that can cause testicular pain that need to be ruled out. First, there is something called testicular torsion. This is a condition in which one testicle becomes twisted, cutting off the blood supply. This causes severe sudden pain and is a medical emergency (based on your description of your discomfort, I highly doubt that this is what is going on!). Second, there is a condition called epididymitis, which is an inflammation of the tubes leading from the testicle into the urethra. There is often discomfort along the sides of the testicles, and the condition is treated with anti inflammatory medications and sometimes antibiotics. Finally, sometimes an inguinal hernia, in which the intestines bulge down toward the scrotum, can cause pain that feels like testicle soreness. I suggest that you go to see your primary care doctor. They will be able to perform a quick exam and rule out any serious problem.