ZocdocAnswersIs this a rash on my stomach or something else?

Question

Is this a rash on my stomach or something else?

I have a bunch of little red spots on my stomach, like right above my genital area. They don't hurt or itch, but don't seem to be going away. What do you think this could be? Is it a rash? Been there for like two weeks.

Answer

If this persists for much longer, then you should see your primary care doctor. This is because it is difficult to diagnose rashes over the internet, but your doctor will probably be able to figure out what it is right away! That being said, there are a couple of likely possibilities. One is that you have folliculitis. This is a condition in which the hair shafts become infected; bacteria get in at the base of the shaft and lead to inflammation and red bumps or pustules around the shafts. This condition is really common in the area of the body you describe, worsened by shaving, friction from clothing, and sweating. It can usually be cleared up with just good skin hygiene and antibacterial soap or ointment, although more severe cases may require help from your doctor. Another likely possibility is that you are having an allergic or sensitivity reaction to something your skin is coming into contact with. Common causes might be new laundry detergents or new fabrics. Similarly, belt buckles and metal buttons on pants are a common cause of allergic rashes on the lower stomach. Talk to your doctor if you think this might be going on, and they will help to confirm it and suggest a treatment.