Is my chronic muscle soreness a sign of ALS?

Soreness all over my body but I don't have the flu or anything. Is this a sign of ALS? I've heard it affects your muscles.
There are several reasons why you could be having muscle soreness. Medically known as myalgia, it is a symptom of several different disorders. Generally, when someone presents with myalgia, the most common reason is generally muscle strain or injury to the muscles. However, muscle soreness or pain can also occur with chronic tension, viral illnesses and as a side effect of medications. Most commonly implicated medications are cholesterol lowering drugs called statins. Some electrolyte disorders can also manifest as muscle pain. Infections can also cause muscle soreness as a symptom, for example, the flu. Finally yes, muscle disorders such as ALS can cause myalgias also. ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease is due to nerve degeneration and is notable for progressive muscle weakness, muscle loss and eventually difficulty with muscles of breathing. It is generally a diagnosis that requires significant testing and ruling out of other causes. It is important for you to make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your symptoms. A doctor will be able to take a detailed medical history, ask specific questions about other symptoms such as fevers or changes in weight or muscle weakness. In addition to taking this detailed history, a physical examination will be performed. Your doctor can provide a diagnosis of what is responsible for your symptoms and make the referral to a neurologist if needed.

Nearby Rheumatologists

Other Rheumatologists