What might be causing my breasts to feel tender and swollen?

19 year old female and my breasts have been swollen and tender for a couple of days now. Not close to my time of the month. Is this something to be worried about?
It is very common for women to experience some tenderness and swelling of the breasts 1 or 2 weeks prior to menstruation. This has to do with the hormonal changes that are occurring in the body mid cycle, and it is not generally something that you need to worry about, and the symptoms generally improve once your menstruation actually begins. If you find that the tenderness and swelling are becoming bothersome to you, there are a few simple things you can try. First of all, many women will taken an over the counter anti inflammatory medication like ibuprofen, which is often the only treatment that is need. It is also helpful to avoid caffeine and alcohol, which will make the tenderness worse. Eating a diet low in salt and processed foods may help prevent water retention, which will help the breast swelling. Furthermore, making sure to get plenty of rest and exercise can be of help. If these simple strategies do not work, then you will want to set up a visit with your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor. They will be able to make sure nothing else is going on and will suggest other forms of treatment.