ZocdocAnswersWhat causes nosebleeds?

Question

What causes nosebleeds?

I get nose bleeds every so often, maybe four to five months apart. Never thought it was anything serious, but I am curious as to why I get them. Is there a certain cause of nosebleeds or can a lot of things cause them?

Answer

The most common cause of nosebleeds is drying out of the nasal passages or mechanical irritation. For this reason, nosebleeds are more common in dry climates and during the cold, dry winter months. Also if you have a habit of picking your nose or frequently blowing your nose, this may be enough mechanical irritation to lead to more frequent nosebleeds. Another common cause of nosebleeds is nasal allergies. This is because the lining of the mucus membranes in the nose becomes inflamed and friable as a result of the allergies, thereby predisposing to bleeding. If you have symptoms of nasal allergies, such as periodic congestion, sneezing, and itching or cough, you may want to talk to your primary care doctor. This is because nasal allergies can easily be treated with several common, safe medications that your doctor can recommend to you. If, on the other hand, you don't have nasal allergies, your probably don't need to worry too much about this. You can simply try to avoid too much mechanical manipulation of the nasal lining. Rarely, nosebleeds can be a sign of a serious medical problem, especially if you have other signs of bleeding, such as frequent bruising of the skin. In this case, you should see your doctor right away.