ZocdocAnswersShould I be worried about feeling light-headed in the morning?

Question

Should I be worried about feeling light-headed in the morning?

For the past couple of weeks, I'm light-headed upon waking. It seems to go away after a few minutes, but I'm a little nervous. Any reason this might be happening?

Answer

This is a concerning symptom. I would recommend that you see your primary care doctor. If you begin to feel lightheaded, dizzy and as if you are about to faint (or if you do faint) please go straight to the emergency room. The reason that this is concerning is that this sounds like pre-syncope. Presyncope is the feeling of lightheadedness that results from decreased blood flow to the brain. This is normally manifested as low blood pressure. Low blood pressure upon standing is known as orthostasis. Obviously, low blood pressure is an issue as it means not enough blood is getting to your organs (brain, kidneys, stomach, etc). There are many causes of a low blood pressure. One of the most common is being on too high dose of a blood pressure lowering medicine. Are you taking any medicines for high blood pressure or hypertension? Another common cause is dehydration. This can be common in the summer months or during another infection (like a stomach bug that causes diarrhea). A bad infection like a urinary tract infection or a pneumonia can also cause a lowered blood pressure. There are some heart problems like tight valves or weakened muscle that can cause a low blood pressure as well. Hopefully this is nothing, but the symptoms of orthostasis you are experiencing are concerning. Talk to your doctor for more information.