What is causing red spots on my ear lobes?

Both of my ear lobes have these little red spots on them. They don't hurt or anything, but I don't know what they are. I don't have my ears pierced now, but I did like ten years ago. Is it due to the ear piercing?
If the red spots are occurring exactly over where you previously had your ear piercings, it is possible that there could be a relation. However, I suspect that this are just pimples or other simple skin infections. Pimples can occur on any part of the skin, including the skin of the ears. Similarly, folliculitis, which is an infection of the hair shafts, can also occur anywhere where there are hairs to become infected. Most of the time, these simple issues can be treated simply with good skin hygiene and antibacterial ointment. You should avoid picking or squeezing the spots as this is just likely to make the spots more irritated and inflamed. As long as the spots resolve, I wouldn't worry about them too much. However, if they are spreading or getting worse or if there is any pain or pus, you should go see your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. They will be able to take a look at the areas and help you figure out what exactly is going on. If any treatments are necessary, they will be able to recommend what the next steps will be. Good luck with this issue!

• Dr. Vaughn Dobalian
    Dr. Vaughn Dobalian MD
    340 16th Avenue North
    Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
  • Dr. Norman Smith
    Dr. Norman Smith MD, FACP
    2905 Mitchellville Rd
    Bowie, MD 20716
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021