ZocdocAnswersShould I be concerned that I have a tumor in my neck?

Question

Should I be concerned that I have a tumor in my neck?

There's like a little pellet sized lump in the right side of my neck, right on the muscle on the side. Had it looked at and some tests were run but the doctors say everything seems normal. Could it be a tumor and they just aren't identifying it correctly? Very worried!

Answer

It sounds like the lump is really small and also that your doctor has already performed a pretty good workup, so I wouldn't worry too much at this point. It is likely that the lump you are feeling is a lymph node. There are many lymph nodes in this area of the neck and they can often become a bit enlarged. The worry with lymph nodes is that when they are enlarged it can rarely be a sign of a lymphoma. However in this case they tend to be much bigger or growing; the fact that you had normal blood tests is also reassuring. Another possibility is that this is an area of scar tissue within the muscle or the subcutaneous tissue. Again this is common and can occur from a wide range of injuries. I would suggest that you keep an eye on the area. If it shrinks slowly or stays the same then you probably do not need to worry. However, if the area starts to grow in size, then you will want to talk to your primary care doctor again and at that point you might want to arrange a biopsy of the spot to figure out what it is.