ZocdocAnswersIs it possible for someone's body not to absorb water correctly?

Question

Is it possible for someone's body not to absorb water correctly?

I drink a lot of water everyday, but my mouth still feels dry and I don't really urinate that often. Am I dehydrated and is it possible that my body just doesn't absorb water correctly?

Answer

No, the problem is definitely not that your body is incapable of absorbing water correctly. However, there are many potential causes of dry mouth. If this problem has been going on for a long time, you may want to talk to your primary care doctor to make sure there is nothing serious going on. Definitely the fact that you are not urinating very often suggests that probably you are not simply drinking as much water as you think you are. Usually the kidneys are very efficient at holding on to water when the body needs it, and not urinating very frequently is a sign that your body is searching for water. If you have a vigorous physical job or exercise frequently, it may be that you are losing a lot of water through sweating and this might explain why you don't urinate very frequently. Occasionally dry mouth like this can be a sign of a more serious medical problem. For example, there are some auto immune conditions that can present with dry mouth, tooth cavities, and dry eyes. Your doctor will be able to rule out these conditions and make suggestions to you about how to increase your water intake!