ZocdocAnswersIs there a way to get rid of the dark circles under my eyes?

Question

Is there a way to get rid of the dark circles under my eyes?

I know this is more of a cosmetic thing, but I want to get rid of the dark circles under my eyes. They are embarrassing. Is there a medical cause for this or do some people just have it worse than others?

Answer

You ask a very common question. There are many causes of the dark circles under one's eyes -- but unfortunately very little can be done with regards to proven therapies. There are many companies and products advertised to improve this -- but unfortunately there is no good data to suggest that any of these work. Regardless, I would recommend seeing a dermatologist (a skin specializing doctor) if you have concerns and wish to have this further addressed. As for what causes dark circles under the eyes -- its actually very simple. The blood flow in the body consists of arteries (which carry oxygenated blood to the organs) and veins (which carries deoxygenated blood back). The deoxygenated blood in the veins looks dark blue or purple. The eyelids are a very thin layer of skin. Based on where the veins are under the eye and the thin skin -- people can get dark circles under their eyes. Some people (just based on the skin and veins) have more prominent circles than others. This varies during the day -- and there is probably some truth to the thought that these are more exaggerated when you are tired. There are no great therapies for this. Plastic surgeons can inject into the skin to push back the vein -- but this is a procedure. Again. please talk to your dermatologist for more information.