Why do I have mucous in the back of my throat all the time?

I'm not sick and don't have any medical issues, but I have a lump of mucous in the back of my throat almost constantly. I'm lucky in that I work outside so I can spit it out throughout the day, but I want to know what's going on. What is causing this and where is the mucous coming from?
Mucus in the back of your throat can be coming from one of two different places. First, this mucus could be coming from your lungs. If you are a smoker or if you have severe allergies, you could be making a lot of mucus in your lungs that is then getting coughed up. If you don't find yourself coughing all that much throughout the day, then the mucus is probably not coming from your lungs. The other (more likely) location that the mucus may originate is nasal passages. If you are having a significant amount of nasal drainage that is draining to the back of your throat, then this may be where your mucus is coming from. The most common cause of this type of thing is season allergies. If you are working outside in a new location, it is possible that you are allergic to something in the area. Since you don't feel sick, an upper respiratory tract infection is less likely. I suggest that you schedule an appointment to see your primary care physician. He or she can take a look at your nose and throat closely and determine if there are any signs of allergy or infection that could be causing this problem. If a problem is found, then your doctor can prescribe treatment.

9415 E Harry St