Book now. It's free!

Can you donate blood if you take medications?

I take some blood pressure medication and an over the counter allergy medication. Does this prevent me from being a blood donor? There's a blood drive at our local church and I would like to take part.
Absolutely! Donating blood is one of the most important things you can do, because the supply of blood for patients in need relies entirely on volunteer donors! Donating blood is very safe, and there are very few reasons why you would not be allowed to donate blood. For example, if you have a fever or are feeling ill you should not donate blood until you are feeling better. Similarly, if you have recently been traveling in a country with malaria, you will have to wait to donate blood. On the other hand, most medications, such as blood pressure medications, will not keep you from being able to donate. When you go to the donation station, a volunteer will have you fill out a brief survey to make sure you are eligible. Assuming so, you will then be led to a blood donation station. The donation will take 15 or 30 minutes. Then, assuming you are not feeling faint (which can sometimes happen transiently) you will be given a snack to eat and that will be it! Thanks again for considering donating, and please do talk to your primary care doctor for more information about how the donation process will work for you.

• Dr. Joseph Sack
    Dr. Joseph Sack MD
    7570 W 21st St N