ZocdocAnswersAnything I can do about a cyst that keeps coming back?

Question

Anything I can do about a cyst that keeps coming back?

I have a cyst right on my wrist bone that I had taken care of once but now its back. It doesn't cause any discomfort. Will it be okay? Does it mean something's wrong with me if I keep getting cysts?

Answer

This sounds to me like a ganglion cysts. Ganglion cysts are benign cystic growth that come off of the connective tissue surrounding the tendons. They are most common in the wrist. First of all, you can rest assured that the fact that this cyst came back does not mean there is something wrong with you. Ganglion cysts are totally benign, and they do not turn into cancer or cause other major problems. I fact, if the ganglion cyst doesn't bother you cosmetically and it doesn't cause any major discomfort, it would be best to leave it alone and not try to remove it again. Sometimes ganglion cysts will simply go away on their own over time. Furthermore, as you have already experienced once, surgeries to remove ganglion cysts are not very effective. This is because it is very difficult to remove all of the edges of the cyst wall completely, and if any remnants are left behind, the cyst will just tend to grow back. If the cyst becomes very large or painful, you could talk to an orthopedic surgeon again about the possibility of having a second operation to see if the cyst could be completely removed.