ZocdocAnswersWhat's causing my periodic nausea?

Question

What's causing my periodic nausea?

Throughout the day I will feel nauseous for no apparent reason. It goes away after about 10 minutes but I don't know what causes it. I'm 27 year old female. What's up?

Answer

Nausea is a sign that your body needs a timeout to help bring itself back to its normal state. Nausea can be acute and short-lived, or it can be prolonged. It can be psychological or physical in origin. Nausea can be ranged from problems in the brain (i.e., anxiety) to organs of the gastrointestinal tract as well as many non-gastrointestinal organs of the body. In general, it is a sign and symptom of gastrointestinal (GI) disorders including gallbladder diseases, stomach (gastritis), and small intestine disorders (there are too numerous to list). If your nausea is accompanied by vomiting and abdominal pain, it definitely should be investigated for a GI disorder. It may also be caused by hormonal changes associated with the menstrual cycle or birth control pills and many other medications as well as pregnancy. One of the most common causes is food poisoning. To help treat nausea, it is important to understand what is causing it in the first place. Some are mild and will pass by themselves, but others are serious and need medical attention. Since there are many reasons why you experience nausea, the diagnosis of the cause of prolonged nausea may not be easy that needs a thorough medical history, physical exam and perhaps some tests. I would recommend a visit with a primary care physician soon.