ZocdocAnswersIs there a reason my urethra feels itchy?

Question

Is there a reason my urethra feels itchy?

I'm a 30 year old male and my urethra feels itchy. Almost like the inside of my penis itches. I have some discomfort when I urinate as well. I'm in a relationship so I'm not worried about an STD, but what could be the cause of this?

Answer

Pain and itching in the urethra with urination in a healthy young male always raises the possibility of a sexually transmitted infection. Being in a relationship does not guarantee that this could not be a sexually transmitted infection, because the infection can always have been contracted prior to entering into the relationship; similarly, one cannot always guarantee that both partners in a relationship have been monogamous. For this reason, it is always essential to rule out a sexually transmitted infection whenever you have symptoms like this. I would suggest that you start by going to see your doctor. They can perform a complete exam, looking for signs as to the source of your symptoms. Make sure to describe the discomfort you have with urination, as well as if you have noticed any discharge from the penis. Also make sure to note if you have had any discomfort in the testicles or elsewhere or if you have noticed any sores on your genitals. Your doctor will probably want to perform some simple laboratory tests, which can probably be performed just on a urine sample. Based on these tests, they will be able to help you decide whether you need to be treated.