ZocdocAnswersWhy do my pimples take so long to heal?

Question

Why do my pimples take so long to heal?

I get pimples on my face and neck and after i pop them they take like a week and a half to heal. Is this normal? Why would my pimples take so long to heal? My acne seems like it's getting worse over time too.

Answer

First of all, you absolutely must stop squeezing your pimples! This does not help them go away more quickly. In fact, all that you are doing by squeezing is causing more inflammation and damage to the skin, which is delaying healing and putting you at risk of a worse skin infection. In other words, squeezing your pimples is directly responsible for how long they are taking to heal. The appropriate way to treat acne is to set up a regular skin hygiene regimen. Daily use of a good anti microbial soap is important, and gentle daily exfoliation of the skin will help to prevent acne. Avoid alcohol and astringents, which are more irritating than helpful. If this does not work, then consider adding a acne preparation containing a comedonolytic, either benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. There are numerous over the counter acne preparations that contain one of these two ingredients. If this does not work, then it is time to see your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. Often more advanced acne requires prescription strength creams or medications, and your doctor will be able to make an assessment of your skin and help you decide which medications are right for you.