Does black mold cause respiratory problems?
I found some black mold in my bathroom in my house. Am I in danger? Does this cause respiratory problems? How should I get rid of it?
Mold is a very common organism that is found in the environment. In particular it thrives in moist humid environments. For this reason, it is very common to find mold in the bathroom, as you have. Generally speaking, this is not a serious problem. You should, however, spend some time scrubbing out your bathroom with mold cleaner to make sure that the problem doesn't spread! For some people, mold can cause some health problems. Mold is a common source of allergies, so people who have asthma, nose allergies (allergic rhinitis) or eye allergies (allergic conjunctivitis) may find that their allergy symptoms, such as eye itching, nasal congestion and sneezing, or wheezing and cough may be worse if the home environment is contaminated with mold. If you find that you are having some of these symptoms, you will want to go see your primary care doctor. They will be able to confirm the diagnosis of mold allergies and they will also be able to provide some advice on which medications you should use to relieve the symptoms. Fortunately, there are great medications that should do the trick for you! Again, please talk to your primary care doctor for more specific information.
This answer is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice.
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.