ZocdocAnswersWhy does my scalp itch?

Question

Why does my scalp itch?

All of the sudden my whole scalp is really itchy. I?ve been letting my hair grow (I?m male). Does this cause an itchy scalp? What is causing this?

Answer

If you have had your hair really short for a long time and then you are now letting it grow out, it is possible that the extra stimulation to your scalp from the longer hair could be interpreted as scalp itching. However, this should be pretty short lived and, if you are still experiencing intense scalp itching, I would recommend that you see your primary care doctor to make sure there is not something else going on. By far the most common cause of scalp itching is seborrheic dermatitis, which is an inflammatory condition of the scalp characterized by redness, itching, flaking, and scaling. Dandruff is actually a mild form of seborrheic dermatitis. If you have noticed any dandruff, you may want to start trying an over the counter dandruff shampoo. You would need to use it every day and allow it to soak into your scalp for 5 or 10 minutes prior to rinsing off. If this does not work, and you continue to have dandruff symptoms or itching, your primary care doctor may want to prescribe a stronger dandruff treatment. They will also be able to rule out other causes of scalp itching, such as psoriasis or other inflammatory scalp conditions.