search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why does my scalp itch?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy does my scalp itch?

Question

All of the sudden my whole scalp is really itchy. I?ve been letting my hair grow (I?m male). Does this cause an itchy scalp? What is causing this?

Answer

If you have had your hair really short for a long time and then you are now letting it grow out, it is possible that the extra stimulation to your scalp from the longer hair could be interpreted as scalp itching. However, this should be pretty short lived and, if you are still experiencing intense scalp itching, I would recommend that you see your primary care doctor to make sure there is not something else going on. By far the most common cause of scalp itching is seborrheic dermatitis, which is an inflammatory condition of the scalp characterized by redness, itching, flaking, and scaling. Dandruff is actually a mild form of seborrheic dermatitis. If you have noticed any dandruff, you may want to start trying an over the counter dandruff shampoo. You would need to use it every day and allow it to soak into your scalp for 5 or 10 minutes prior to rinsing off. If this does not work, and you continue to have dandruff symptoms or itching, your primary care doctor may want to prescribe a stronger dandruff treatment. They will also be able to rule out other causes of scalp itching, such as psoriasis or other inflammatory scalp conditions.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.