Why is my scrotum itchy?

I?ve had an itchy feeling in my scrotum for a week or so. My penis is fine and I don?t see anything on the skin. What could cause this and is it a symptom of a serious illness?
There are a few different possible causes of these symptoms. One common cause of an itchy scrotum is a fungal infection of the skin. This type of infection is sometimes called jock itch or tinea cruris. Often there is a red rash associated with the infection that gets worse when you itch it. The fact that you don't see anything on the skin doesn't completely rule it out, but does make it somewhat less likely. Treatment for this is a simple anti-fungal cream that can be placed on the effective area. Another possible cause of this problem is a parasite infection. This can cause profound itching of an area of the skin often without findings on the skin. Depending on the type of parasite, these infections can be treated with medicated creams. Finally, certain allergic reactions can cause these symptoms. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can listen to a description of your symptoms and perform a thorough exam of your scrotum. If the cause is obvious, then your doctor will be able to prescribe treatment. If it is not obvious, then you doctor may give you a referral to see a dermatologist.