ZocdocAnswersWhat are the white lumps in my mouth?

Question

What are the white lumps in my mouth?

I have these weird like white patches or bumps/lumps in my mouth, on the inside of my lips. What is this? Does it have something to do with my teeth?

Answer

There are several possibilities here, but I definitely think that you need to go see your primary care doctor to make sure this is not something serious. The condition that would be most serious and would need to be ruled out immediately is a cancer of the lining of the gums or a precancerous spot called leukoplakia, especially if you are at higher risk of this because of smoking or heavy alcohol use. Your doctor will be able to take a look at the spots and determine whether or not they need to be biopsied to rule out a cancer or precancerous spot. You should not delay this appointment, because, if this does turn out to be cancer, it is important to diagnose and treat it quickly before it has the chance to grow. Other, more common, causes of white spots in the mouth include a yeast infection called thrush. This results in thick white spots throughout the mouth that can be scraped off (unlike a cancerous or precancerous spot, which cannot be scraped off). Sometimes, the tiny salivary glands under the gums can be very prominent or may turn into small cysts, which can also give the appearance of white bumps or spots. Start by seeing your doctor!