ZocdocAnswersWhat does it mean if I bruise easily?

Question

What does it mean if I bruise easily?

I seem to bruise very easily. The slightest bump results in an ugly looking bruise. Is there a reason I would bruise so easily? Is this a symptom of a blood condition or a muscle problem?

Answer

I would suggest that you discuss this issue with your primary care doctor who will be able to help you get to the bottom of this. One of the most common causes of easy bruising and bleeding is taking medications that inhibit bleeding. For example, if you take aspirin or some other common anti inflammatory medications this could be enough to cause bruising. If this is not the result of medications, then you will need a workup to make sure you do not have a medical condition that is causing you to bruise easily. When you go to see your doctor, make sure to let them know if this is a recent development or if you have been having easy bruising your whole life. Also let them know if there are any other members of your family who have had bleeding problems. Also mention if you have had other signs of easy bleeding, such as frequent nose bleeds, heavy periods, blood in your bowel movements, etc. Your doctor will probably begin with some basic laboratory tests to look at your clotting and platelet function. Based on those results, they may decide to make a referral to a specialist in hematology. Again, please see your doctor soon.