Dr. David Skolnick, MD
Dr David Skolnick graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Columbia University in New York City. In pursuing an interest in French and chemistry, he worked for a year as a research assistant at the Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Switzerland. He then matriculated at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. His subsequent training was at Washington University in St Louis followed by a cardiology fellowship at Indiana University. He is board certified in Cardiovascular Disease and holds the title of Associate Professor of Medicine, UMKC School of Medicine. Dr Skolnick receives praise from his patients and colleagues as an excellent clinician and outstanding educator. He was honored in the past with the teacher-of-the-year award from the cardiology fellows. He serves as the medical course director for an annual 2-day regional cardiology conference. Recently, he helped spearhead the development of the Valve Center of Excellence at Saint Luke’s Hospital. This initiative seeks to improve the care of patients with valvular heart disease, particularly those with aortic stenosis and mitral regurgitation. As an integral part of the Heart Valve Team, he collaborates closely with his structural interventionalists and surgical colleagues to offer TAVR and MitraClip procedures to patients with severe valvular heart disease. Since the knowledge base of medicine outstrips any physician’s ability to have a complete grasp of every development, Dr Skolnick collaborates closely with his colleagues to ensure his patients receive the most up to date care. He is proud to work with an extraordinarily bright group of cardiologists and to belong to a nationally recognized Hospital for quality in cardiovascular care. Dr Skolnick very much enjoys his clinical practice of
- Cardiovascular Disease (Internal Medicine)
Education and training
- Medical School - University of Pennsylvania, Doctor of Medicine
- Washington University, St. Louis, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, Residency in Internal Medicine
- Indiana University, Krannert Institute of Cardiology, Fellowship in Cardiovascular Disease
Awards and publications
- Teacher of the year award in 2009
- Khanna A, Barberena J, Skolnick DG. An Unusual Case of Shunting Across the Atrial Septum After Mitral Valve Repair. J AM Soc Echo 2005;18:78-9.
- Main ML, Magalski A, Morris BA, Kusnetzky LL, Skolnick DG, Good TH. Real-time Assessment of Myocardial Perfusion during Balloon Angioplasty of the Left Anterior Descending coronary Artery. Am J Cardiol 2003;92(6):656-659.
Saint Luke's Cardiovascular Consultants
4330 Wornall Rd, Suite 2000
Kansas City, MO 64111