Dr. Julian Carlo, MD
Hand Surgeon, Orthopedic Surgeon
Julian Carlo is a caring and experienced orthopedic and hand surgeon serving the community of Birmingham, AL. Dr. Carlo attended medical school at Harvard University. He completed his internship in surgery and residency in orthopedic surgery from the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. Dr. Carlo completed his fellowship in hand and upper extremity from the University of Florida. He also holds a bachelor’s degree from Harvard University. Dr. Carlo is affiliated with Brookwood Medical Center in Birmingham, AL. He is a member of the American Association for Hand Surgery. Dr. Carlo gives each patient his focused attention, and he prides himself on delivering the best treatment available.
Is this doctor in your insurance network?
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Hand Surgeon
- Brookwood Medical Center
Education and training
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Internship in Surgery
- University of Florida, Fellowship in Hand and Upper Extremity
- Medical School - Harvard University
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Residency in Orthopedic Surgery
- Harvard University (Bachelor’s)
- American Association for Hand Surgery
Awards and publications
- Carlo, J, R Rogers. “Chaotic Mixing in the Lung.” Presentation at Minority Undergraduate Summer Internship Presentation Day. August 2003
- Lieberman, DE, J Carlo, M Ponce de León, CP Zollikofer. A geometric morphometric analysis of heterochrony in the cranium of chimpanzees and bonobos. Journal of Human Evolution. 2007 52(6): 647–62.
- Editor for the 2012 edition of The Iowa Orthopaedic Journal, a peer-reviewed annual publication
- Lack, W, J Carlo, JL Marsh. Payer status and increased distance traveled for fracture care in a rural state. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2013 27(2): 113-8
- Carlo, J. Trends in travel distance and volume of orthopaedic care in Iowa. Podium presentation at American College of Surgeons State Meeting. October 10, 2009.
Sherrill Orthopedics Sports & Hand Center
200 Montgomery Highway, Suite 125
Vestavia Hills, AL 35216