About Dr. Stefan Balan
A nationally awarded, board-certified hematologist-oncologist, Dr. Stefan Balan is the Director of Cancer Network Development, Brooklyn and Director of Hematology and Oncology at Mount Sinai Brooklyn Hospital. Dr. Balan trained in Hematology and Oncology at New York University (class of 2002), and, before joining the Icahn School of Medicine, he was faculty at New York University and Dartmouth College, where he was singled out for excellence in teaching. Dr. Balan proudly looks after the community of Brooklyn, NY by providing his expertise at Mount Sinai Doctors and by offering the state-of-the-art cancer treatments and access to the most advanced technologies and clinical trials. He speaks English, French, Spanish, Romanian, and Italian. For his clinical expertise, compassion, humanism and teaching excellence, Dr. Balan was awarded the American Cancer Society’s Lane Adams Quality of Life Award.
- Affinity Health Plan
- The Mount Sinai Hospital
- Medical Oncology (Internal Medicine)
Education and training
- Medical School - Universitatea de Medicina si Farmacie Carol Davila Facultatea de Medicina
- New York University Elaine A. and Kenneth G. Langone Medical Center, Fellowship in Hematology/Oncology
- New York University Elaine A. and Kenneth G. Langone Medical Center, Residency in Internal Medicine
Awards and publications
- American Cancer Society's Lane Adams Quality of Life Award
- Effect of a Palliative Care Intervention on Clinical Outcomes in Patients with Advanced Cancer: The Project ENABLE II Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA;
- Intravenous Iron Optimizes the Response to Recombinant Human Erythropoietin in Cancer Patients with Chemotherapy-Related Anemia: A Multicenter, Open-Label, Randomized Trial.. Journal of Clinical Oncology;.
Dr. Stefan Balan's office location
Mount Sinai Doctors
Mount Sinai Doctors Midwood
3131 Kings Highway, Suite 1-02
Brooklyn, NY 11234
Patient reviews for Dr. Stefan Balan
I am 74 years female. I met many many doctors in my life, but Dr. Balan is an amazing doctor. I just started to visit him, no matter what will be my diagnosis I am very lucky to meet him.
Dr. Balan was extremely knowledgeable and took his time discussing treatment options, next steps, and prior results in detail. I was seen promptly upon arrival and had no wait time after completing my paperwork. They called to see if I can come in earlier which I had no problem with. The receptionist is super nice and even attempted to assist my wife in getting a personal matter settled. I felt comfortable and had a positive experience. The doctor is thorough, which I really appreciate. I definitely recommend him.
Wonderul doctor! Very kind, PATIENT, actually EXPLAINS everything to you. Called me personally to go over my results, rather than have me pay for another visit. I really recommend this doctor.
I went to a different hematologist prior to him they were nice but not informative. He took his time to address all your concerns and explained ever single thing detail by detail. Extremely nice and knowledgeable guy
Great experience highly recommends Dr Balan
I found him to be very professional with a caring and sincere bedside manner.
The visit was superb. Friendly staff and awesome doctor.
Best best best doctor and hospital i have EVERRRR seen.The staff ws more than nice and friendly and professional and doctor Stephan was just amazing and such a nice doctor.Highly recommend him his crew.
- Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
- Orthopedic Surgeon
- Primary Care Doctor
- More Specialties
- Oncology Consultation
- Oncology Follow Up
- Bone Marrow Transplant Consultation
- Bone Marrow Transplant Follow Up
- Breast Cancer
- Cancer Genetic Counseling
- Cancer Treatment
- Colon Cancer
- Detection of Cancer
- Esophageal Cancer
- Ewings Sarcoma
- Infusion Therapy
- More Procedures
- Aetna Oncologists
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Oncologists
- Cigna Oncologists
- UnitedHealthcare Oncologists
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield Oncologists
- UnitedHealthcare Oxford Oncologists
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Oncologists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as HIP) Oncologists
- EmblemHealth (formerly known as GHI) Oncologists
- More Insurances